Data Protection & GDPR
The South East Reserve Forces’ & Cadets’ Association takes privacy of personal information seriously and we ensure that all personal information, be it in manual or electronic format, is kept secure. We will only use personal details for the purposes of forwarding information about ourselves or the Reserves and Cadet Forces in our area and forwarding invitations to functions which have been organised by ourselves. We will be required to provide names and vehicle registration details where applicable to the management of any venue used by us for the sole purpose of security to the venue. Personal details to any other third party will not be disclosed unless the individuals’ express permission has been obtained.
We will only ever use the details you share with us for our own purposes and nothing else.
We will never share your personal details with any third party without your express permission.
You can find more information on how we use your personal information below.
SERFCA uses your personal data:
• to provide services to you in the form of invitations to Summer Briefings, Employer events and Committee meetings and to keep you informed of Reserve and Cadet issues;
• to verify your identity;
• with your agreement, to contact you electronically about the various functions and meetings which we think may be of interest to you;
• where we have a legal right or duty to use or disclose your information. For example, in relation to security at an event to which you would be invited. This would be restricted to providing the venue with the minimum of detail; your name and vehicle registration number if applicable.
SERFCA will not disclose your personal data to any third party without your express permission, except as aforementioned in respect of security to an event.
We will not retain your personal details for longer than is deemed necessary for our purposes. All personal data is reviewed at least on an annual basis to ensure it is accurate and current. We do publish a SERFCA Year Book which lists brief details of our membership. This is issued on a limited basis to the membership.
SERFCA may collect the following data from you:
• your name, age/date of birth and gender;
• current occupation and any former service in the Armed Forces;
• your contact details: postal address, telephone number and email address;
• other publicly available personal data, including any which you have shared via a public platform such as Twitter, Facebook etc.
HOW WE PROTECT YOUR DATA
SERFCA is committed to keeping your data safe and secure. Our security measures include:
• daily penetration tests of all systems;
• security controls which protect the entire SERFCA IT infrastructure from external attack and unauthorised access;
• internal policies setting out our data security approach and training for employees.
You have the following rights:
• the right to ask for a copy of personal data that we hold about you (the right of access);
• the right to request that we delete personal data held on you where we no longer have any legal reason to retain it (the right of erasure);
• the right to ask us to update and correct any out-of-date or incorrect personal data that we hold about you (the right of rectification);
• the right to opt out of any marketing communications (for example Reserve Link or Cadet Link) that we may send you and object to us using or holding your personal data if we have no legitimate reason to do so (the right to object);
• the right to ask us to restrict processing of data, which means that we would need to secure and retain the data for your benefit but not otherwise use it (the right to restrict processing);
• the right to ask us to supply you with some of the personal data we hold about you in a structured machine-readable format and/or to provide a copy of the data in such a format to another organisation (the right to data portability).
If you wish to exercise any of the above rights, please contact Support Services on firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 01252 357606.
SERFCA collects and uses members’ personal data because it is necessary for:
• the pursuit of our legitimate interests;
• complying with our legal obligations.
You have the right to withdraw consent at any time. Where consent is the only legal basis for processing, we will cease to process data after consent is withdrawn.
The normal legal basis for processing members’ details is that it is necessary for the legitimate interests of SERFCA including:
• promoting, marketing and advertising our products and services (eg., Reserve and Cadet publications briefings and committee meetings);
• complying with our legal and regulatory obligations;
• handling members’ contacts and queries;
• protecting SERFCA, its employees and members, by taking appropriate legal action against third parties who have committed criminal acts or are in breach of legal obligations to SERFCA;
• fulfilling our duties to our members, colleagues and other stakeholders.
Subscribe to our monthly newsletter to receive a round up of our latest news across the South East